Oahu to Hilo Volcano Tour including Airfare and Helicopter Ride
Are you on a short vacation to Hawaii and want to make sure you don’t miss a thing? Then leave the planning to the professionals, join a tour, and enjoy the view!
The Oahu Volcano Tour includes the top highlights of the Big Island, while dealing with your airfare and transportation from most Waikiki hotels. To get the mot into your exciting day, your driver will pick you up early in the morning. From Honolulu you’ll take the quick inter-island flight to Hilo on the Big Island. Try to catch a window seat on the flight, as the tropical sunrise from high above the sea is a sight to remember.
Once you arrive on the Big Island of Hawaii, switch rides and board a luxurious helicopter for a 45-minute spin above the volcano. Hilo owes its spectacular sights to the fact that an enormous active volcano is situated right next to the lush rainforests of the windward side of the island. Go from boiling lava, across craters and black volcanic deserts straight into deep green valleys and ridges where hundreds of waterfalls cascade down the mountain. Since volcanic activity is constantly changing it takes just a little luck to find the most active spots on the day of your visit. Luckily, your pilot-guide is an expert on the area and will do his best to give you the most memorable experience.
Breakfast at the Volcano House
After this exhilarating flight, experience the sweet side of Hawaii. At the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory, learn about how the most popular souvenir from Hawaii is grown, roasted to perfection, and used to make sweet or salty treats that always bring a smile to your face. Try some tropical snacks and bring some home to give your family a taste of the Pacific.
You’ve already seen the largest rainforest in the US from above during your helicopter tour. Now you can take a closer look at the colorful and exotic flowers that hide within the jungle. At the Akatsuka Orchid Gardens, there’s of plenty opportunity to see, photograph, and smell the unique collection of flora found in Hawaii. While visiting the Gardens, you can learn about the local ecosystem and see a wide range of beautiful flowers and tropical plants.
A trip to the islands is never complete without a visit to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Enjoy a drive around the main attractions of the park, where you learn all about Hawaii and its volcanoes at the Jaggar Museum. Halema’uma’u crater and the famous Thurston Lava Tube are remains of past eruptions that you can safely visit these days. Other attractions along our Volcano Tour are the Kilauea Visitor Center, Kilauea Iki steam vents, and the Chain of Craters Road. Visit the Fern Tree Jungle, where nature has started to reclaim the rich volcanic soi.
After this full day of island exploration you get to rest on your way home. Airfare back to Oahu is included in this package. Your driver will pick you up at the airport and whisk you back to your Waikiki hotel. Enjoy this complete Big Island package and leave the planning to us; it’s the ideal field trip for those who want to learn everything they can about Hawaii on a short schedule.
Tour Agenda & Highlights
Guest have breakfast about 9:40 AM – at the Volcano House a “hearty breakfast” and can grab lunch items along the way unless you want to bring your own bag lunch.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park*
- Volcano House Restaurant* – breakfast buffet (on own)
- Halema’uma’u Crater* – viewed from Volcano House; remarkably changed since June 2018
- Kilauea Visitor Center* – park updates & educational displays
- Steam Vents* – ground water seeps down to hot volcanic rocks forming steam clouds
- Kilauea Iki Overlook* – smaller pit crater next to main Kilauea caldera
- Chain of Craters Road – scenic drive; sections covered by lava in 2018 Kilauea eruption
- Devastation Trail – stroll down a paved path to see the evidence of the 1959 Kilauea eruption
- Kealakomo Overlook* – sweeping coastal views, expansive view of lava fields
- Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory* (brief stop, option to purchase snacks)
- Helicopter Tour* | 3:30 / 4:00 PM departure
- 45-minute tour
- Aerial views of the remarkable recent transformation of Kilauea
- Cascading waterfalls
- Largest rainforest in the United States
- Rainbow Falls* – waterfall cascades to a pool below, rainbows magically form in the mist
- Hilo Town
- King Kamehaameha Statue & Shinmachi Tsunami Memorial (Drive Pass)
- Banyan Drive (Drive Pass)
- Liliuokalani Gardens
- Richardson’s Black Sand Beach
- Return from Hilo, Hawaii to Oahu
Volcanic activity occasionally causes closures and detours that affect tour routes and sites. As a result, itineraries and stops are subject to change without notice at any time due to the continued volcanic activity as our guests’ safety is our top priority.
In the event the helicopter tour must be cancelled for any reason, guests will be refunded for the helicopter tour and welcomed on an extended sightseeing land tour which includes a drive through Hilo town and a stop at Akaka Falls. If guests wish to return to Honolulu earlier than their scheduled flight and/or decide not to continue on the land tour, a refund of helicopter portion (only) will be provided and additional taxi, airline change fees, or other other expenses will be the responsibility of the guest.
- Once purchased, this tour is NON-REFUNDABLE and the tour cannot be cancelled.
- Due to airline restrictions, passenger name changes are not permitted under any circumstance.
- We can try to change dates, but there is no guarantee of availability. Airline change penalty fees may apply and vary by airline and fare type.
- No-shows will incur full charges – No refunds
Lava flowing is an act of nature, therefore we do not guarantee sighting of lava. Surface lava flows may be present but may not be visible due to environmental conditions or time constraints.
Bring a jacket. Hilo is rainy and the volcano can be very chilly (as low as 50°F, 10 °C) It can also be sunny, bring sunscreen (Carry on).
Round-trip hotel transportation is included from convenient locations in Waikiki. If your hotel or the place you are staying is not listed, we will pick you up at the closest location.
Tour departs the first pickup location at 4:15 AM and returns at approximately 6:30 PM.
For guests driving themselves to the Airport: Meet Polyad Airport Dispatcher at 5:30am at the Hawaiian Airlines terminal, Lobby 3
24 hours prior to your tour, please re-confirm your pick up time and location by calling 808-833-3000.
To meet aviation security requirements, guest’s name and birth date provided when booking reservations must exactly match the name and birth date on government-issued photo ID and/or passport for airline check-in. Passengers must clear TSA at the Honolulu Airport, please bring a passport or valid ID.
Guests are advised to not bring large or heavy bags on the flight.
All passengers will be weighed during check-in at the heliport, in compliance with FAA requirements which ensures the accurate aircraft weight and balance. Passengers over 250 pounds will be allotted two seats and will be responsible for the additional cost of 50% for a second seat.
For best picture-taking and views during the helicopter ride, wear darker colors to reduce window reflection.