Doors Open Helicopter Ride: Feel The Heat!
The Hawaiian Islands are a geological hot spot, characterized by strong tectonic activity. Their tall mountain peaks have been created by centuries of volcanic activity. The fiery mountains have brought much destruction, but also countless blessings to Hawaii. With the constant build up of nutrient rich new soil and fertilizing ashes, Hawaii has become a true miracle of eco-systems. The tall mountains that built up after repeated tectonic activity and eruptions are home to several climate zones, from volcanic desert to tropical rain forest, from azure coast to snowy peaks. A unique multitude of flora and fauna find their niches on these isolated landscapes in the middle of the pacific.
While the other Hawaiian Islands are relatively inactive nowadays, the Big Island volcano national park is very active and sparely populated until today. Here, it is said, is the home of the fire goddess Pele and her Sister Hi’iaka – the goddess of dance and medicine. People have been fascinated with the Big Island for hundreds of years; many legends are told about the unique natural phenomena and geological wonders of this special place.
A ride in our Hughes 500 helicopter will give you more than a front row seat for nature’s most spectacular display. We will take you up 500 feet above open vents and flowing lava of Kilauea. Our helicopter has no doors, so you will be able to smell, hear and feel the volcano in all its frightening power. Even as you fly high above the surface flows, waves of hot air will roll over you. The lava can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees, so you can be sure to feel the heat of nature’s creative powers.
Kilauea volcano is the star of this show, but there are more world class views on this tour. You will get supreme views of the rich rain forests of Hilo and the colorful rainbows in the mist above Wai’anuenue – the rainbow waterfall. Turquoise shores and a new perspective on the neighboring volcano, Mauna Loa, are included in the tour.
Enjoy the most thrilling island tour; soar above natural wonders on a no-doors helicopter ride! We offer morning and afternoon departures from Hilo Airport.
DEPARTURE TIME & LOCATION
Morning and afternoon departures
INCLUDED IN THIS ADVENTURE
- a 40 to 50 minute ride in an MD 500 helicopter
- Narration of facts and legends by an expert guide
- Sights of current volcanic activity on Kilauea
- Lush rainforest views in Puna
- A new vantage point on the famous waterfalls of Hilo
- Two-way communication between all guests and the pilot
- All taxes and fuel surcharge
- Bring a warm jacket! The helicopter has no doors, so the flight can get quite cool and windy.
- All cameras including cell phones must have straps
- No hats permitted on flight
- Please attach a strap to your camera or cell phone to make sure you don’t lose anything.
- Please don’t wear a hat.
- The tour is suitable for seniors, adults and children aged 8 and above.
- Guests over 250 lbs may be charged a weight restriction fee.
- Please come to Hilo Airport 1 hour before take-off.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY LEVEL
Easy: Suitable for adults, children over 8-years old and seniors.
Please check in for your flight 1 hour prior to departure.
Passengers over 250 lbs may be subject to weight restriction fee.